Since 1992, the Lawrence History Center has invested several hundred thousand dollars into the historic preservation, stabilization, and accessibility of our home in the former Essex Company Offices and Yard at 6 Essex Street in Lawrence – a site listed on the National Register of Historic Places built in 1882-3 that includes a main office building, carpenter shop, blacksmith shop, stable, and warehouse.

The historic preservation and accessibility of our home is an investment in one of Lawrence's strongest cultural and historic institutions in the downtown corridor. The care and upkeep of our facilities contributes strongly to the impression given to people both inside and outside the city, as well as to the cultural economy throughout the city. 

Sample of recent projects:

This undated photo features a nice view of the Essex Company Complex -- now home to Lawrence History Center -- at 6 Essex Street, Lawrence. It was taken by Richard Graber (November 25, 1934 - January 29, 2007) of Andover.

This video from October 1992 captures LHC founder Eartha Dengler (1922-2014) and then president Pamela Yameen cutting the ribbon on the Essex Company Offices & Yard. Chet Sidell, Board Member Emeritus (1941-2018), also shares some remarks: