The William Lord Monument

From Queen City Lawrence:

This monument was dedicated on Flag Day June 14, 2004 to William Lord, the only Lawrence Medal of Honor recipient. May 16, 1864 during an engagement at Drewry’s Bluff, Virginia, Lord carried a wounded officer to safety between enemy lines and under heavy fire. He had enlisted in Company C, 40th Infantry Regiment, Massachusetts as a musician.

The bronze plaque mounted on a granite boulder is appropriately located within the fenced in yard of the Soldiers’ and Sailors’ Monument on the Campagnone Common.

Student video:

Student photos:

web_William lord 6.jpg

web_William lord 8.jpg

web_William lord 7.jpg

web_Willima lord 5.jpg

web_William lord 4.jpg

web_William lord 3.jpg

web_william lord 2.jpg

Hours

Tue–Fri: 9am-4pm
Sat: By appt
Sun-Mon: Closed

Address

6 Essex Street
Lawrence, MA 01840
978-686-9230

Social Media

Mission

Founded in 1978 as the Immigrant City Archives, the mission of the Lawrence History Center is to collect, preserve, share, and animate the history and heritage of Lawrence and its people.